Yes, you can make gelatin-free marshmallows at home — and it’s easy! These fluffy marshmallows use agar agar, a type of sea vegetable, in place of the traditional gelatin. They’re spiced with saffron and cinnamon, then covered with chocolate but you can try different spices and coatings to find what you like best. These marshmallows are perfect for snacking, sundaes, or for stirring into a big mug of hot cocoa.
Chocolate Covered Marshmallows [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Chocolate Covered Marshmallows [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 13.66-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of saffron
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons of agar agar powder
- 1 vegan dark chocolate bar
- 2-3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
How to Prepare Chocolate Covered Marshmallows [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- In a bowl, combine coconut milk together with the sugar, orange juice, and spices, then transfer to a saucepan. Heat gently, stirring with a whisk, until it starts to boil. Add agar agar, mix thoroughly, and heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the marshmallow batter into a square baking dish lined with parchment paper and let cool on the counter for 30 minutes before transferring to the refrigerator for an hour.
- Once cool, cut the marshmallow into squares.
- In a double boiler, combine the chocolate with milk and vegan butter until melted. Dip the marshmallows in, one-by-one, until thoroughly coated. Let each marshmallow rest on a cooling rack until the chocolate has solidified.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?