Crispy, smooth and caramelised – everyone will want a slice of this vegan showstopper. Plus, it’s served just warm or at room temperature, so there’s no last-minute stress.
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
- 8 serving(s)
- Prep Time:
- 40 mins
- Cook Time:
- 50 mins
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 30 mins
butternut squash (about 1kg), peeled
- 2 tbsp.
olive oil, plus extra to grease
small handful fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
garlic clove, crushed
- 300 g
silken tofu, drained
- 200 ml
- 150 g
quick cook/1min polenta
- 100 g
shredded kale (woody core discarded)
Balsamic glaze, optional, see GH TIP
- Step 1Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan) mark 5 and line a large baking tray with baking parchment. Slice the butternut squash in 2 where the bulbous end meets the long neck. Next, slice the neck in 1/2 lengthways, then cut each 1/2 into 1cm-thick slices, to make semicircles. Add to the baking tray.
- Step 2Slice the bulbous end in 1/2, deseed, and then cut into 1cm-thick, C-shaped wedges. Add to the tray and mix in 1tbsp olive oil, the sage, garlic and some seasoning. Arrange in a single layer and roast for 25-30min, or until golden and tender. Cool.
- Step 3 Grease a 20.5cm round springform tin. Whizz the semicircle roasted squash (this should be about 300g, save extra for the decoration), the silken tofu and plenty of seasoning in a high-speed blender until smooth. Set aside 200g of this squash purée for later.
- Step 4Heat the stock in a large pan over medium-high heat and add the remaining squash and tofu purée and plenty of seasoning. Bring to the boil, then slowly pour in the polenta and cook, whisking constantly, for 3min, until very thick. Scrape mixture into the tin, smoothing to level. Cool completely, then chill for 1hr (up to 24hr).
- Step 5Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan) mark 5. On a large baking tray, mix the kale, 1/2tbsp oil and some seasoning. Roast for 5min, tossing halfway. Set aside.
- Step 6Preheat grill to high. Unclip and remove the springform tin, keeping the polenta cake on the base. Brush top and sides of the polenta with remaining 1/2tbsp oil. Grill for 5min, or until crisp and golden.
- Step 7Transfer the polenta cake to a cake stand or serving plate. Spread the reserved squash and tofu purée over the top, leaving a border. Top with the reserved roasted squash and kale. Drizzle over the balsamic glaze, if using, and serve.
Prepare to the end of step 4 up to a day ahead. Cover and chill. Cover and chill the reserved squash and tofu purée and roasted squash separately. Complete recipe to serve, allowing purée and roasted squash to come up to room temperature.
Most balsamic glazes are suitable for vegans, but do check yours, if needed.
PER SERVING (without glaze):
- Calories: 174
- Protein: 6g
- Fat: 5g
- Saturates: 1g
- Carbs: 24g
- Sugars: 6g
- Fibre: 4g