Creating delicious faux meat substitutes can be done using plants such as beans or nuts, or can be created using seitan, which is a faux meat replacement that uses vital wheat gluten as a base. The result is a wonderfully chewy and satisfying entree. Usually when making seitan, a variety of flavors are mixed with the vital wheat gluten, along with vegetable broth to create a dough. Then, it’s usually steamed or baked to create seitan.
Seitan uses vital wheat gluten so it’s not suitable for those who are gluten-free, but there are many ways to create other entrees using nuts or lentils. There are a few options below of lentil loaves and nut roasts that you can whip up to share this holiday season. If you’re looking for more entrees to make, check out these 30 Stunning Plant-Based Entrées That Will Be the Star of Thanksgiving Dinner!
If you’re looking for ways to use seitan to replace turkey, you can make this Gluten-Free Vegan Turkey or even this Turkey Roll with Stuffing by Plant-Based Meats by Robin Asbell are great recipes to start with.
We also highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 20,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, plant-based, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help you get healthy! And don’t forget to check out our Weekly Meal Plan Archives!
This week, we’re bringing delicious, fully vegan, and plant-based ways to use seitan to create delicious holiday entrees!
Source: Stuffed Seitan Roast
These seitan roasts are perfect to use as an entree! You can stuff your seitan roast with a filling, or you can simply enjoy it in slices with gravy. These are all created using vital wheat gluten to get that chewy and meaty texture.
Other Seitan Entrees
Source: Sweet Potato Seitan Burger with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
If you’re wondering what else can be made with seitan, here are a few recipes to get you started! You can create all sorts of meat substitutes with it, including faux ribs and sausage. You can even use it to create beef for a yummy 10-minute Seitan ‘Beef’ and Broccoli dish!
Creating Nut Loaves and Lentil Loaves
Source: Festive Nut Roast
These nut loaves and lentil loaves are also wonderful options for an entree. These are not only plant-based, but they pack in umami flavors that are savory and satisfying. There are many ways to make these loaves, so check out the options below.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade repeatedly.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.